Wednesday 11 October 2023

I almost suffered heart attack over Gowon's death rumour, says Edwin Clark

 




Edwin Clark, the convener of the
Pan-Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF), says he almost suffered a heart attack over the
rumoured death of Yakubu Gowon.



On Monday, some social media
users claimed that Gowon, former military head of state, had passed away.



Reacting to the claim in a
statement, Adeyeye Ajayi, the personal aide to Gowon, said the former military
leader is alive.



"I am still around and well.
I am not in a hurry," the statement quoted Gowon as saying.





Speaking with journalists in
Abuja on Tuesday, Clark said he was devastated when he heard the rumoured death
of the former head of state until he spoke with him via the mobile phone.



"The social media yesterday
almost caused an attack on me when they announced that General Yakubu Gowon was
gone," he said.



"I had a breakdown only to
discover that it was not true when Gen. Gowon phoned to say that 'I'm still
alive, I'm still enjoying this country and the position I am'.



"So what am I saying? Let us
build up a country where people from an aspect of the country are not subjected
to the position of second-class citizens."



Clark served as the minister of
information under the military administration of Gowon in 1975.



Gowon was the head of state
between August 1, 1966 and July 29, 1975.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I remain in PDP, I’m not going anywhere – Plateau Gov Mutfwang

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, says he remains loyal to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, dismissing rumours of him joining the Al...